[Coco] Max baud rate for 68681 in MM/1?

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Feb 1 01:01:40 EST 2016

Interestingly, the closest thing I can find to the Signetics part now is
the Philips SCC68681.  I believe that Philips bought Signetics some time
ago so I can only make an assumption that the Philips part is as good as
or better than the Signetics part when it comes to the higher
communication speeds.  I just now found the Philips datasheet on the
internet and instantly recognized it as the document I used when I wrote
the code for the 68C681 some 15-20 years ago.  The reason I used the
Philips document instead of the Exar one was that it just seemed so much
more descriptive and complete especially when it came to the 9-bit
address recognition mode which I ended up using in my design.  However,
I remember making the decision to use the Exar part because I had more
confidence in its ability to handle higher bit rates.  I never did test
the Signetics part but I believe it has the same pinout.

That being said, if you find out that indeed the Signetics part is
inferior (as the Philips datasheet seems to imply in regard to max clock
speed) and you want to try the Exar part (which I believe is still in
production or at least is still available) I have a good number of brand
new ones stashed away that I would let go at half of the going retail price.

In fact, I'm starting to now remember that it was my belief that the
Exar was rated at a maximum clock of 7.372 MHz simply because that
frequency was a good number to derive all of the most common bit rates.
In reality, I remember testing them at 8 MHz and they performed just
fine.  If so, they could very likely work at 500Kbps.

I'm also remembering that in my design each one of the almost 400
locations that received the equipment had four 68C681s in the design
each running at 250 Kbps.  So I guess I bought more than 1600 of them
over a span of maybe 5-6 years.

Dave

---