[Coco] Space Invaders - Translated from Intel 8080 to Motorola 6809 for the CoCo 3

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 29 06:58:03 EST 2016

On 29/12/2016 7:44 AM, Zippster wrote:

> I don’t know for sure, but I do keep hearing things about assembly
> programming becoming a thing of the past. Which is a real shame if
> true.

It is absolutely true, unfortunately. With the cost of embedded ARM
cores in microcontrollers that have all manner of peripheral cores
built-in, there's simply no reason to use it, even for high-reliability
systems. Plenty of mission-critical systems running C code on hardened
RTOS kernels.

Assembly is now, and will only continue to be, a lost art. I suspect our
generation that cut their teeth on 8-bit machines will be the last to
use it en masse (if you could call it that now). It will eventually fall
by the way-side as later generations become completely uninterested in
the 8-bit systems as they have no direct link to them.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>