[Coco] Space Invaders - Translated from Intel 8080 to Motorola 6809 for the CoCo 3

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Dec 28 12:50:12 EST 2016

And in that sense, I do agree with you Ed.  But in another sense, I
truly believe that there are a lot of 'new' things that can still be
done with the old 8-bitters.  Now I'm not exactly talking about the
retro platforms you were referring to but more the use of the older CPUs
for certain applications, perhaps embedded.  The odd thing is that so
many of the newer embedded processors nowadays are being programmed in
high level languages that in my mind really detract from the whole
purpose behind using an embedded CPU.  Some things just still lend
themselves well to getting down to the nitty gritty with machine code to
make it happen.

There's also something to be said for an embedded application (or a
retro computer for that matter) that can boot up almost instantaneously
without having to wait for loading an operating system.  I'm still a big
fan of using the old 8-bitters when the circumstances lend themselves to
it and I've still been able to do some things (a few) that the guys with
the new processors and high-level languages couldn't figure out how to
do.  One example might be to ask a 16 or 32-bitter with a high-level
language to do the equivalent of the CoCo bit-banger serial port without
a hardware timer or the use of interrupts.  Another would be to create
the 32 kHz modulation and data transmission of an IR LED transmitter
completely with software.  It can be done but a lot of the high level
programmers are left scratching their heads or asking why you just don't
do it in hardware.

Dave