[Coco] Finding which software is not in archives

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 12 22:48:36 EST 2016

Le 2016-12-12 à 14:49:00, Robert Gault a écrit :
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> I have a few hundred diskettes and I would like to know which ones you might
>> like to have a copy of. I looked for some titles in colorcomputerarchive.com
>> and didn't find them. If I don't find something in there, how do I know it's
>> really not there, instead of just being misspelt on my disk label or in the
>> archive ? Having a list of the contents of all disks, as filenames, sizes and
>> perhaps checksums (md5) might help identifying some things. Many other
>> programs I have are not whole disks, they are one BIN each on a disk of 5 or
>> 10 or 20 different programs.
>>
>> BTW, as examples of things I have that I didn't find in the archives, I have
>> disks labelled "Text Pro IV" and "Dynastar" that I did not find anywhere in
>> the archive ("Dynastar" is not the same as "Dynacalc", which I also have).
>
> Mathieu,
>
> You probably missed the Search function at the Color Computer Archive.
> It is at the far left on the menubar and can be accessed from the repository
> root directory as well as all sub-directories.

No, I also tried it a few times, but as it had no function for narrowing the
search to the "Disks" folder, I used Google with prefix
«site:colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks». That was making it easier to see
whether a disk is there (without seeing irrelevant results), or so I assumed.

> A search for Dynastar gave three hits: Documents/manuals/applications and
> Emulators/SWTPC 6800 6809 Emulator/FuFu disks.

I never expected to find the disk of an app inside the emulator folder of a
folder for manuals. What's the point ? I don't know what is SWTPC nor what's a
FuFu disk but I bet none of those have anything to do with what Dynastar is. Am
I wrong ?

> As the program disks are not of much general use for a Coco, you should Upload
> your Dynastar disk to the repository.

I don't understand that sentence. What do you consider "general use for a Coco"
and where would something go instead if it were of "general use" if not in the
repository ???