[Coco] New version of SDC-DOS available

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Dec 2 19:21:32 EST 2016

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 6:05 PM, Barry Nelson <barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com> wrote:
>
> Actually I have had a great deal of luck using a shortcut/cheat. I edited the /sd0 and /sd1 devices to have the following geometry:
>
> Sides = 1
> Sectors per track = 18
> Sectors on track 0 = 18
> Tracks = 16384
>
> Since it is 1 side and 18 sectors per track, cobbler and os9gen seem to work fairly well.

Refresh my memory … Are those the hard disk descriptors? If so, how big is your disk image?

The reason os9gen crashes is because it looks at the size of the Disk Allocation Map (DAM) and allocates RAM for a copy of it. The largest the DAM can be is $FFFF, and the utility tries to allocate that size + 256. Thus, >64K, and then it goes badly.

If the hard disk image were small enough (I suppose if the DAM were smaller than FF00?) it would probably work fine and that is a great approach.

		— Allen