[Coco] Largest supported HDD size?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Dec 1 22:45:55 EST 2016

On Thursday 01 December 2016 20:47:02 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> On 12/1/2016 9:07 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> > I will add that, if I were still using my CoCo as a primary system,
> > I would want something that does no-halt, like the KenTon did and
> > SuperIDE did. During disk access under OS-9/CoCoSDC, I lose
> > characters while typing. Also, the hard drive adapters were faster
> > for disk I/O.
>
> Is there a page that describes "no-halt"?  I think I understand the
> concept, but clarity is great.
>
> Jim

In the disto no-halt I have, there is a 256 byte buffer in the disk path
that serves as a rubberband for the disk traffic.  That buffer can be
read or written to while you are typing, without missing a keystroke,
usually a complete read or write in between your keystrokes unless you
are really fast, but can be interrupted by your keystroke too.

I expect other no-halt stuff works similarly.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)