[Coco] Links for Bud Pass cross-assemblers and utilities

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Aug 30 13:09:17 EDT 2016

On 8/30/2016 9:46 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
> Like anyone else, I'm happy to see more tools available to the
> general community!
>
> But, I have to ask: what makes these assemblers special or
> desirable? Especially so much so as to put up with the lack of
> documentation and source code, and to deal with having to run them
> on a DOS machine or emulator?
>
> None of those processors are/were rare -- it shouldn't be difficult
> to find relatively modern tools (or at least ancient tools compiled
> for modern OSes) to use for programming those machines.  I doubt even
> the 8048 would be a problem.
>
> So, what am I missing?
>
> John
Nothing, really.  They're just another tool available for anyone who
wants them.  As for lack of documentation, they really don't need any as
far as I'm concerned.  As for lack of source code, I actually do have
source code for all of them stashed away.  I had mentioned here some
time ago that I was using the CSC6809 assembler and someone asked me if
I could make it available.  So, after finally tracking down Bud, I got
the permission and made all of them available.  I guess it's sort of
like any other game, utility, editor, etc. that was written for the CoCo
years ago.  There are many more modern programs available but some
people either prefer or want to have the old stuff.

Dave