[Coco] How to detect a CoCo 1 vs a CoCo 2 in software.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Aug 22 22:30:44 EDT 2016

On Monday 22 August 2016 21:54:47 David Ladd wrote:

> Is there a way to replace/upgrade the OP Amp so you can run at a
> faster rate?

If you are passably handy with a soldering iron, yes.  Someplace back in
the mists of time I put an LF357 in an old grey ghost.  It worked good
at 57600, in a day when modems hadn't gotten there yet.  I'd found some
data someplace to poke into the bit-banger code to get the higher baud.

IIRC I was driving a Brother Daisy wheel that I had found had such a
setting.  Zero real use because the printer was all tapped out at 15
CPS.

> +----------+
>
> |David Ladd|
>
> +----------+
>

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:20 AM, Barry Nelson <
>
> barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com> wrote:
> > The slower OP amp is EXACTLY why I want to detect the CoCo 1 or 2 in
> > software. I am trying to come up with code that will load the
> > correct version of a DriveWire ROM for a CoCo 1, 2 or 3 by auto
> > detecting the CoCo model and loading the proper code. A CoCo 1 must
> > run at 38400 baud, a CoCo 2 can run at 57600, and a CoCo 3 can run
> > at 115200 baud.
> >
> > > Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
> > > Sun Aug 21 23:15:41 EDT 2016

> > > True Art.  But if that rom has been replaced, is not the old grey
> > > ghost then functionally a coco2? Minor hardware diffs of course,
> > > like the slower speed of the op-amp in the bit-banger, but will
> > > this code be able to tell the diff and mis-behave?  How the game
> > > plays is of course the final answer.
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)