[Coco] How to detect a CoCo 1 vs a CoCo 2 in software.

Camillus_gmail camillus.b.58 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 21:38:24 EDT 2016

hi Barry,
Maybe you can add some extra code in your project.

write a string e.g "coco" to the serial port and read back the output.
if you do this at 57600 baud then only a coco II gives back the original string.

You can use the basicrom 's LLIST to send this string. The trick would be to write the output somewhere at an address the you can peek.
If that would be inpossible the maybe a small dongle with a serial to parralel chip and a latch that sets it output high when "coco" is recieved and latched. This output can then set CD pin on the serial port and that is detectable. This would fit a 5 din jack perfectly when smd is used. This dongle would only be used with the setup and can then be removed from the serial port on the coco.

The only time CD would be high is when you plug this dongle into a coco II.
Dont know if this is possible and would work but it was just an idea that came up in what I suspect is my brain.

Use it at your benefits. ( or have a big laugh ...lol )

cb

Sent from Mailbird [http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sent-from-mailbird]
On 8/22/2016 7:45:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
On Monday 22 August 2016 03:20:19 Barry Nelson wrote:

> The slower OP amp is EXACTLY why I want to detect the CoCo 1 or 2 in
> software. I am trying to come up with code that will load the correct
> version of a DriveWire ROM for a CoCo 1, 2 or 3 by auto detecting the
> CoCo model and loading the proper code. A CoCo 1 must run at 38400
> baud, a CoCo 2 can run at 57600, and a CoCo 3 can run at 115200 baud.

Darn, and I think I read that back near the top of this thread, but my
short term memory is suffering from oldtimers. Best excuse I can muster
on short notice anyway.

Will 10 lashes with a wet noodle do? :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)