[Coco] Using A Receipt Printer With The CoCo/MC-10

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Fri Aug 19 18:56:29 EDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 02:54 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 05:34:49PM -0500, George Ramsower wrote:
>>   When I was in radio broadcasting, I liked the thermal printers running from
>> the news reporting agencies. They were quiet and the print outs lasted long
>> enough to read out loud on the radio station and then were tossed into the
>> trash. Otherwise, junk stuff. Even today, the thermal printouts don't last
>> unless in a controlled environment. Too much trouble for me.
>>
>> George R.
> It sounds like you, George, should avoid thermal printers. However many
> other printers are also likely to have the CR/LF problem or something
> similar, so the write-up might still be handy for you. But if not,
> then feel free to ignore it completely...
>
> John

  In my early days of computing, I starting with a Coco, my first
printer was a KSR teletype machine with a paper tape reader/writer that
did NOT have automatic line feed on carriage return. I modified the
printer to click a microswitch to engage the LF relay to do this so it
would print properly. However, that machine was so danged noisy, I
finally replaced it with an Olivetty (sp?) dry ink jet printer and sold
the teletype printer. Never missed that teletype machine.
  It wasn't long until the dry ink jet cartridges were no longer
available and once again, I had to find another printer.
  Those were the days.
George R.