[Coco] CocoMIDI and Other Boards Available

Jayeson Lee-Steere cocolistemail at titaniumstudios.com
Fri Aug 19 02:05:51 EDT 2016

Interesting data Bill. The datasheet suggests two improved capabilities in
the 68B50. One is that the serial clock can be much higher than the 6850.
The other is that the registers support 2MHz operation (can be placed on a
2MHz bus). The former advantage should not come into play here as the
serial clock is the same super-slow speed used by MIDI. I might expect some
reliability issues accessing the regular 6850 with the Coco in high speed
mode. I can't imagine why the 68B50 would be (significantly) more suitable
for simultaneous play/record.

It is unfortunate some software runs the Coco 3 at high speed. I can't see
much reason not to slow the clock while accessing the 6850 registers - the
data rate from MIDI is rather slow and I would not expect the impact on the
application to be large.

I'll let folks know.

- Jayeson

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com