[Coco] Gene Heskett

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Aug 15 09:34:31 EDT 2016

On Monday 15 August 2016 04:10:03 Kip Koon wrote:

> Hi Gene,
> I am SO GLAD we didn't lose you.  Thank you for sticking around.  It
> would not be quite the same without you.  Do let us know how your CNC
> lathe rebuild progresses.

The gib rebuild to the "little monster" went well, after I threw away a
14" mill bastard file that was twisted, rocking on a flat surface a good
1/16".  Rather hard to file a flat when the file isn't. But once I got
that in hand, the tapered gibs were just a metter of filling up the
file, blowing it clean and filling up the file again until it fit.  A
prybar under the carriage shows less than .0005"  of wiggle now. And the
7 degree tapered 27 tpi threads it cut once I had the gcode to cut them
are best described as purty. :) And I have enough stuff coming in, in
the next week to make a 1kw induction heater, which will allow me to
harden the parts I am making out of A2 tool steel. I am amazed at what
the Chinese can do, a 1kw rated power oscillator for that sort of thing
can be had from fleabay for under a $40 bill.  The power components to
power it, 2 of which I had to get from fleabay, a 20A rated 125 volt
vaiac ($90) and a pair of 50A 1Kv bridges for $3. I have a huge, 2/1
toroid that weighs in at nearly 100 lbs that will make the 12 to 50
volts of DC that module needs. Add a cooling fan, a start delay relay to
make the poweron a hard switch because a soft start by just turning on
the supply with a line switch will kill it and I have several of those,
a $4 aquarium pump and a pan of water to cool the coil with and I'm off
the the races in that dept. Capacitors for filtering the output of the
bridge I have. That psu can also serve as the psu for an EDM setup,
which I did to make the cuts in the side of the socket for a ball screw
extension. Slower than a good hacksaw, but with EDM, no burrs, just a
nice neat slot cut with a 3" brass disk .0325 thick, spinning in
distilled water for an electrolyte.  Biggest problem is finding a place
to put it and a hoist to get it there.  My garage runneth over.

My youngest was here about 3 weeks back, took one look at my garage and
pronounced that I either needed to have made it 2 more stalls wide, or
less "stuff".  He's dead right of course. :) OTOH, a 5k btu window AC
does an altogether decent job of holding that well insulated 14x24 area
at 72 degrees all summer so far as long as I keep the doors closed.  The
front entry is of course a stock one stall overhead door, but it has an
additional R11 worth of blue styro glued to the inside of the door, and
the 6" wall are full of cocoon blowing insulation, with about a foot of
it on the ceiling.  Easy to heat or cool.

As I have said before, stuff like this keeps me out of the bars.

I'd imagine thats probably true for quite a few of us who grow old
without ever growing up. :)

Take care & stay well everybody.

> Kip Koon
> computerdoc at sc.rr.com