[Coco] WTB Orchestra 90 cartridge

Jayeson Lee-Steere cocolistemail at titaniumstudios.com
Mon Aug 1 23:39:54 EDT 2016

Sure is an interesting topic.

One point in the link shared earlier is that for decoupling caps, the
distortion is scaled down according to the relative voltage drop across the
cap. Using an oversized cap value will reduce the voltage drop and
therefore the distortion. For this particular usage, I wouldn't be overly
concerned about distortion from ceramic decoupling caps.

However, the piezo effects are potentially huge. I just soldered a 10k
resistor across a 1uF 1206 MLCC cap. Tapping that arrangement with tweezer
points easily generated spikes approaching +-10v.  I'm interested in how
NPO/low K cap types would go, but it seems easier to just use polyester and
be done with it.

I guess one other note is that the circuit has some low value caps to
ground. They look to me to be for RF suppression and so I think should be
ceramic. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of low K options available in
those small values.

Jayeson