[Coco] WTB Orchestra 90 cartridge

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:30:05 EDT 2016

This is a pretty interesting topic, and I’ve learned quite a bit researching it.
It would seem that while ceramics are on the bad end of the scale (in general)
when it comes to harmonic distortion of audio, they are commonly used in the
audio path, especially where size is a factor.

Not all ceramics are equal, and it’s pretty clear a lot of the bad reputation comes
from larger, through hole components, especially using the less stable dielectrics.

I saw some information in manufacturer application notes indicating SMT packages
using X7R dielectric to be similar to tantalum SMT packages in THD of audio, around .1%
in their comparison.  Which doesn’t sound too bad, but didn’t compare to polyester
at .001% or less.  Electrolytic came in ~.05% or so.

Some ceramics seem to be more suitable for the audio path, Class I-C0G-NPO type,
with their more stable capacitance.  I would guess closer to electrolytic in distortion.

So relatively speaking, film is best, then electrolytic, then tantalum and ceramic.
Another interesting question though is, how much THD is too much?  One manufacturer page
added some perspective by noting that the worst ceramic in their test, a through-hole using X5R
dielectric with THD of .2% at -3dB, still paled in comparison to the THD caused by audio DACs
and codecs.

Though a lot is made of capacitor induced distortion in audio, I’m guessing it’s somewhat
overstated.  At least in a lot of situations.

Anyway, since we aren’t especially space constrained on this board, I’ve picked out some non-polar
SMT electrolytic caps for the final PCB version, since there’s certainly no reason not to go that
route.  It’ll make an interesting comparison when I have boards built both ways in hand later too.

Learning is fun…  :)

- Ed