[Coco] Ed 3.1 Nitros9 3.3.0

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 24 02:46:02 EDT 2016

On Saturday 23 April 2016 21:31:53 Charlie Pelosi wrote:

> Hello!I started playing around with Nitros9 again. I noticed that in
> the newest version 3.3.0 when I use the text editor Ed 3.1 that the
> mouse pointer is broken. It will not move. It worked in the older
> versions I've tried. Any idea how to get it working again? Is there
> perhaps another simple easy to use text editor like Ed as an
> alternative?Ed can be found here:
> ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/APPS/Thanks!Chas.

Since most of the folks are in the Windy City, ducking when they hear
gunfire, I'll point out that what used to be cc3io has been stripped
down to vtio, and vtio now calls on a triplet of .sb files to handle
that sort of thing.  AFAIK, all the "pointer" stuff is in modules with
a  "joydrv" in their name, which you will find in the bootlist that mb
uses to build a new boot disk, but with name additions that describe
what pointer device they work with.  Essentially the same framework for
sound and video exists these days.  So there is a joydrv for the std 1
or 2 button shack mouse, a joydrv for a 3 button seriel mouse plugged
into a 2nd channel of a deluxe RS232 pack with piggy backed chips, and
another for joysticks plugged into the back of the coco.  So you have to
build a boot disk that fits the pointer device you have before it will
work.

As for editors, Minted is in the nitros9 src tree. I believe ed is there
also.  My favorite, needed if the file you are editing is much more than
5k, is the patched tsedit that can be ran with a 56 kilobyte buffer.
Hard to learn, it functions somewhat like vi from unix, and has never
failed me as long as the file doesn't have another open lock on it.

It has two operating mode's, command and edit.  It opens in command mode,
put the cursor where you want to insert text, hit "i" which will open up
a space after the cursor that you can type into.  When you have
completed that text addition, hit BREAK and it closes up the space and
puts you back in the command mode and an s or w (I forget which) writes
the modified file, and a q will quit it. In command mode x will delete
the character the cursor is on, and IIRC you can do up to a 9x to delete
up to the next 9 characters.

It is available as "vim" due to a name clash with the v# window
descriptors added in recent years, near the bottom of the list you'll
get by clicking on the link in my sig, and finding the link called
Genes-os9-stf/ in the front page.  Yeah, thats this machine, and thats me
& the Missus but we're both a dozen years older now & while I've lost my
youthfull good looks at 81 yo, I still have the beard. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)