[Coco] RS DOS RS232 application?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Apr 15 08:34:55 EDT 2016

On Friday 15 April 2016 07:42:57 Brian Blake wrote:

> CoConet supported it via the 6551 in the paks Roger sold. I modified
> my drivepak for it and the test rs232 pak I built.

Interesting.  Is it a big deal to mod a stacked deluxe rs-232 pack to do
that?  When I say stacked, two sets of chips have been stacked in mine,
the 2nd to service my serial 3 button mouse.

As this will involve the use of the 7 wire protocol for flow control, and
I have not had a working flow control since around the nitros9 v2.0
days, I am curious to see the xmode output of your setup?

Unfortunately I can't get to mine ATM, we had some work done in the
basement, and my poor old coco needs a trip to an air hose to blow the
cement dust out of it before I apply power again.  The lid wasn't even
on the case when they fired up the jackhammers to cut a drainage ditch
feeding an automatic sump pump, against all the outside walls, and
installed a bunch of 4" steel i-beams to help support one wall that
after 40 years, was being pushed in by the clay soil this house is
floating in.  But its up to me to finish cleaning up the mess, and my
back is only good for about an hours worth of that a day.   And I intend
to fill the space between I-beams with styro foam sheets for some
insulation before figuring out how to move a shelving kit we hand built
that is about 24 feet long, back against the wall and reload it with our
midden heap, currently stacked in the middle of the floor about 4 feet
deep.  As you can imagine, we will be sorting some of it into a 4x6
trailer to take to the landfill, several times.

To do that w/o having to haul it up the steps, I'll have to invent a pair
of rails sticking into a removed window, and a sled that guides itself
on those rails, so I can have the misses running a crank from
my "skyhooked" hoist to deliver it to ground level. I'd put myself in a
wheelchair forever trying to carry it up the stairs.  That of course
will take a while, but I'd like to get it cleared out enough we could
actually play pool on the pool table by cold weather again.  Or, maybe
even find it a new home & give Dee back her sewing table by moving it to
the middle of the floor.  But it will take rigging to get those slates
back up the stairs as they are close to 350 lbs each, 3 of them as its a
std sized 8 ball table.  There is also a foot kicked potters wheel with
an electric motor rigged to turn it that I wish we could find a new home
for. Dee bought it BG (Before Gene) but I don't think it ever had a pile
of wet clay on it.  Must weight over 200 lbs. Kick wheel is at least
36", cast concrete with a steel strap rim the motors belt drives.
Working table is a bit north of 12".  When Gene arrived the motor didn't
work as it wasn't wired right, but does now. Thats my schtick you
know. :)

> Yeah, DriveWire used the bit banger - in my precoffee haze that one
> slipped by.

Happens to the best of us. No biggie.  I've got to go see if I can get
our pot started for the day.

Take care Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)