[Coco] RS DOS RS232 application?

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Apr 14 23:33:19 EDT 2016

Another thing you can do if you understand the registers in the 6551 is
to set it all up for 230kbps and then just use BASIC to simply POKE a
value into the transmit register.  If you have a wire between pin 2 and
3 of the DB connector then anything you put into the transmit will show
up in the receive register (read with a PEEK). There is a status
register that will show you when the receive register is full or the
transmit is empty.  With a very short, simple BASIC program you could
write a simple terminal program that would test it out.  The only thing
you probably would not be able to do is to shove data in there back to
back but you could certainly test out 230k a single character at a time.

Dave