[Coco] RS DOS RS232 application?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Apr 14 20:14:23 EDT 2016

On Thursday 14 April 2016 19:58:35 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> I would like to test out a mod to my RS232 pak to bring it up to
> 230kbps.  Is there a simple app around that has source so I can modify
> it to do 230kbps on my rs232 pak and test?  Or, alternatively, is
> there a simple terminal that I can run to test out the various
> existing bps rates?
>

> Jim

Unless you have huge buffers, big enough to contain the whole
transmission, the coco cannot move more than about 90k a second.  That
corresponds to the megaread times I was able to get from myram, of 11
seconds for a megabyte on a 6309, and just over 13 seconds on a 6809,
each using the fastest way to move data that exists on those 2
processors. For the 6809, thats (after the transfer is setup) ldd,x++;
std, y++, or for the 6309, ldq ,x++;stq ,y++ (IIRC).
> --
> RETRO Innovations, Contemporary Gear for Classic Systems
> www.go4retro.com
> store.go4retro.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)