[Coco] Fooling around with assembly in RS-DOS environment

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 10 23:40:15 EDT 2016

On 11/04/2016 10:21 AM, Rich Carreiro wrote:

> I'm not a purist on this -- it does NOT have to be EDTASM
> running on the emulated CoCo (in fact, I'd probably prefer
> it wasn't, since I don't feel like dealing with 32-char line
> lengths and all-caps when programming).
>
> Are there any CoCo assemblers that can run in Windows
> or Linux that can create executables that a CoCo emulator
> can load and run?

At the end of the day, I prefer productivity over the "pure" experience
of developing on the Coco, so for me cross-assembling is a no-brainer.

Personally, I use AS6809 which will produce a Coco .BIN file courtesy of
contributions by our own Boisy Pitre. I use my favourite editor (70
lines of text) and it's all command-line driven so a makefile does all
the building.

For testing/debugging I use MESS which, despite claims I don't
understand, is far more powerful than any other Coco-based debugger
could ever hope to be (eg. watchpoints), and gives you more information
to boot. I've used it for both reverse-engineering and developing
software on all sorts of platforms, not just Coco. It's invaluable in my
arsenal.

In my personal opinion, integrated IDE's that supposedly make your life
easier are of very limited benefit to a seasoned developer, regardless
of platform. Pressing <UP><UP><ENTER> twice, once to build and once to
run MESS is not exactly taxing, and ultimately more flexible and
customisable.

It's doubly true in my case, because I develop for multiple retro
platforms, and use the ASXXXX assemblers for all of them. My entire
development environment is identical then for each of them, which is a
definite productivity boost.

I'm sure plenty disagree, and you may even be one of them.

Regards,