[Coco] Coco3 under MESS and joysticks

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 10 20:03:03 EDT 2016

On 11/04/2016 7:31 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> I should probably study the coco3 schematic before going any further...

Well this is annoying. The schematic in the Service manual is at odds
with Tim's PIA "Cheat Sheet". Button 2 on each joystick is reversed
between the two.

OK, sorted now. I don't really know what was going wrong before, but
after re-assigning _all_ the joystick input mappings and using the PIA
pin assignments in the schematics, it's all behaving properly now.

I think MESS got confused with the input mappings because I had it in a
state where both PA2 & PA3 would generate button 2 *AND* space. But
clearing all the mappings and starting again seemed to have done the trick.

None of this was helped by the fact that there is information online
regarding joystick selection (CB2 vs CA2) _and_ Button 2 PIA port
assignments that are actually incorrect. Add the above-mentioned
confusion in MESS and the fact that I don't have a 2-button joystick,
and it's been a nightmare trying to figure this stuff out.

FTR, LEFT joystick button 2 generates a phantom <SPACE> as you'd expect
from a button on row#3 of the keyboard matrix.

Regards,