[Coco] Coco3 under MESS and joysticks

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 10 03:25:08 EDT 2016

On 10/04/2016 12:23 PM, Robert Gault wrote:

> The right joystick button on my PC corresponds to Button 2 on my Coco3,
> real or MESS emulated. The left joystick button on my PC corresponds to
> Button 1 on the Coco.

OK, thanks.

> No spaces are generated on my Coco3 by either Button 1 or 2 nor with
> MESS 1.58 with the PC joystick buttons.
>
> Exactly what were you doing when you got "a phantom <SPACE>", whatever
> that is? How do you have MESS configured regards joysticks 1 & 2?

If code on the Coco is checking for a <SPACE> and you press Right
Joystick Button 2, then it will detect it because that button is on
row#3 of the keyboard matrix, regardless of the column strobe. This is
also why you can't mask joystick buttons on GIME keyboard interrupts.

Since only one of the buttons is on row#3, then only one of the buttons
should generate the 'phantom' <SPACE>. The others will cause similar
issues on other rows. But I get *both* doing it.

I have, at various times, disabled input for one or the other joystick
in MESS by selecting <NONE> for the input mapping. Otherwise it's the
default numeric keypad mappings.

John mentions the issue is his blog

<http://retrotinker.blogspot.com.au/2013_01_01_archive.html>

Regards,