[Coco] Valid file names for Disk BASIC

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Thu Apr 7 11:40:17 EDT 2016

Hi all. I am doing some catch up on different aspects of the Color Computer and was reading about Disk BASIC file names.

I was looking at this page: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco/text/diskbasic.html

Also, I consulted the Color Computer Disk System, Owner's manual and Programming Guide

(http://tandycoco.com/techdocs/cocodisksystem.pdf)

The basic rules for file names is that they can be at most 8 chars, followed by an optional extension which consists of a slash (/) or dot and then by at most 3 chars. The information makes mention that a slash, a colon, a dot and the digit zero are not permitted in the file name. It makes no mention of any other characters, such as dashes, underscores, dollar signs, and so on.

Does that mean that I can use any character, not in the forbidden list given above, in the file name? Thanks! Salvador