[Coco] CoCo3FPGA new 640x450 256-color graphic mode

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Sep 30 16:48:18 EDT 2015

Right now, the CoCo3FPGA has 100% stock ROMs. The accesses to the FD
controller are 'trapped' in hardware and re-routed to a
hardware/software core that implements the drivewire support.  I *think*
Gary would like to keep the ROMs stock to keep things as 100% compatible
as possible in the firmware.  If someone wanted to implement HDBDOS or
modify the disk ROM on their own this would be very possible.  The ROM
code resides in a flash chip on the DE1 that is user programmable.

The NitrOS9 works with a low-level driver that Gary wrote that works
underneath the superdriver. It reads and writes directly to its own OS9
partition on the SD card.  In other words, it's formatted just like an
OS9 hard drive.  The idea of bringing the signals out for a FD
controller may have some practical utility but why would you connect a
CoCoSDC when you've already got an onboard SDC?

Actually, I've already read/written sectors to the SD card under DECB.
I used Gary's code for the OS9 driver to put together some quickie
routines to do this.  The raw read/write sector routines take less than
600 bytes of machine code.

Dave Philipsen