[Coco] 6809 FPGA Success

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Sep 29 21:34:04 EDT 2015

Excellent! Glad to hear you've got it working well. I think Gary has updated to the newest core by John Kent. You can look at the comments near the beginning and determine which version it is. I think version 1.28 is the most recent release.

You should be able to bump that thing up to the full 25 MHz running on internal RAM. If you write any BASIC programs that print to the screen extensively you will see that the video works faster than on the CoCo (at comparable clock speeds). I think it's probably because scrolling is handled in 'hardware' while the CoCo 3 relies on the firmware to scroll the screen.

Dave Philipsen