[Coco] Older MPI with CoCo 3

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Mon Sep 28 23:50:43 EDT 2015

 It is definitely needed. The malfunctions caused without the upgrade are only a symptom or side effect of the real problem. The real problem is that an I/O port in the multipack is selected to output a signal onto the CoCo bus at the same time as a port of the GIME chip inside the color computer. This causes a momentary short circuit across the GIME chip's output. Since the duration of this short circuit is normally extremely short, usually no permanent damage occurs and you just see various minor momentary glitches. That is what normally happens. In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood:
Do you feel lucky?
Because it has the possibility of burning out the GIME chip in your CoCo 3. Of course, that chip is really easy to replaceā€¦ NOT.