[Coco] Mshell

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 22:00:39 EDT 2015

Phil, I put the "Starter Kits" together myself, I also wrote "MShell". The Starter Kit as it is, if the VHDs are in the proper places, Vcc will run the "current" version of MShell fine.

However... after reading your email, I installed a fresh copy of Vcc 1.43b Starter Kit, then installed a fresh copy of MShell and noticed it did hangup on the startup screen! For some reason, it's stalling on creating the "Ms1.init" file and I can't seem to locate the problem at the moment (but I will, and post a new release here).
A quick fix is to download this disk and copy the "Ms1.init" file on the disk to your "/DD/CMDS" dir. Then try running MShell and let me know what happens...

As a WARNING... MShell will NOT startup in Vcc with the CPU overclocked.... It WILL crash! The CPU speed MUST be set to minimum speed before starting MShell. Once MShell has loaded, the CPU can be speeded up and all will run fine. This is due to some timing issues using "sleep" calls during the startup and ONLY affects MShell during the startup. As I said, once it is running, you can run the CPU as fast as you want (I like about 72mhz) as screen refreshes and directory listings will almost match PC speeds then!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23059963/MShell/MShell%2001.01.3c%20fix.dsk

I checked this with the newer 2015 build of Vcc (unreleased) and it works as intended. So something is going on in the old Vcc or in that version of NitrOS9 (in the starter kit), but I do not know what.
I should have the new Vcc Starter Kits done soon which will include the new Vcc 2.0.1 w/Becker Port & NitrOS9 3.3.0. I would have them already done, but have been quite busy with my sound company the past few weeks. Seems like every club in town needs a good soundman this month and I can't get a break!

I will investigate what is going on and fix the problem. It only seems to do this on the first run as there is no "Ms1.init" file and it has to create it. Once that file is present, it seems to be running fine. Copy the file to your cmds dir and let me know if you see any other problems.

I will post a new version as soon as this is resolved.
Thanks for letting me know about this!

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/