[Coco] Making a boot disk for .vdh

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 21:24:15 EDT 2015

Phil, I assume you're making a boot disk for VCC... If so, that can actually become VERY confusing. Especially if you're booting from RGBDOS or HDBDOS, and even more so if you want to use DW4 and even more if you want RSDOS as well.

Before doing so, you need to completely understand the boot process and how to build boots. The OS9 manuals give good info on boots, but critical information is omitted.. like using 3rd party tools such as EZGen, KwikGen, KUtil, and many others.
Also, you need to have a thorough understanding of what modules you need (and want). There is no "majik" way to just create a boot (yet :-)... Everybody's boot will be different according to what they need and want.

One of the best sources for understanding how the boot system works is to veiw the boot scripts on the NitrOS9 disks available for download.

The scripts are found on almost any of the bootable disks in the "NITROS9/6x09L2/BOOTLISTS" and "NITROS9/6x09L2/SCRIPTS" folders on the disks. The ones in the "SCRIPTS" folder are the actual scripts that makes the boot based on the file list in the "BOOTLISTS" folder. It's a bit much to grasp to start with, but as you analyze it more, it will start to make sense.

As you view the lists... if you don't know what a module is then look it up. If you can't find a reference in any of the manuals or on websites, then ask.
There's a hunder ways to create a boot disk and everybody has their own preferences... I can usually build a new boot with completely different hardware in about 10-15 minutes and have my system running with a new setup, whether it be a real Coco, Vcc, or XRoar (L1).
It's basically a matter of knowing your system, and knowing your tools.

One of the best sources for the manuals and 3rd party books which explain even more is:
https://sites.google.com/a/aaronwolfe.com/cococoding/home/docs

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/