[Coco] E-mail Netiquette: How to Start a New Thread

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Sep 23 17:16:23 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 09:57:26AM -0500, Zippster wrote:
> Ah, well the link explains what the issue would be with some email software.

Well, FWIW, email threading is standardized in the relevant RFCs:

	https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

See section 3.6.4 for details.

> This “internet etiquette” issue has never been a problem for me with Gmail and Apple Mail,

If anything, I would argue that any email client that establishes
a new thread merely due to a subject change is inherently broken --
changing a subject shouldn't isolate a message from its predecessors.
Of course, no one accuses Google or Apple of actually cooperating
with Internet standards anymore...

> but then, I’ve never understood the need for more than one type of fork at the dinner table either.
>
> <http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table_setting/place_setting/flatware/forks.html <http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table_setting/place_setting/flatware/forks.html>>
>
> I’m guilty of doing this almost every time, but since it’s a problem for some, and
> I now understand the issue, I’ll do my best not to do it again.
>
> But I refuse to comply with the fork thing.  :)

Your cooperation is appreciated.  Forks are relatively standardized
at my house as well... :-)

John