[Coco] DS1216 -- issue with "Setclk"

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 15:03:56 EDT 2015

 George, I think that once you are able to set up a new system with NitrOS9 3.3.0 and DW4, you will find your clock issues have disappeared. With DW4, the system clock is set about once every 20-30 seconds (not sure of the refresh rate) based on the DW4 server's PC host's clock and is also refreshable by the user at any given time. This is done in the system interrupt cycles and therefore should not be affected by software priority settings as software priorities do not outweigh system priorites in the que.

I use this clock in my Coco 1, 2, & 3 as well as all the emulators and the ONLY time it loses time is "possibly" during disk operations in which it recovers within a few seconds on the next clock refresh.
This refresh is a DW4 feature as DW4 sends the time on a regular basis and NitrOS9 in receiving the time signal, refreshes the system clock.

>From the time I boot my system, my Coco (or emulators) show the time accurate to the second (compared to my PC, which is updated automatically from the net nightly)

I too suffered time issues with the old OS9 software clock, but to be honest, since I've started using NitrOS9 and DW4 (about 5 years now), I haven't even given thought to the time as it's always right.

As for interfacing this in Basic09, there is a direct DW4 command that will pull the time from the DW4 server (not the Coco clock, hmmm sounds too much like "cookoo clock") and will automatically update the system time when called as well. The time variable will be returned to your software (Basic09 program) in ASCII format and is as usable as any other "time utility". In fact, I could write you a Basic09 procedure to do this and return the time in a variable... it will be as acurate as your PC's time.... because it IS your PC's time :-)

I use this feature in my latest version of MShell which displays an onscreen clock in the corner of the menu. This clock refreshes in seconds. MShell not only accesses the OS9 drives but also reads the PC server's drives as well as RSDOS formated disks/drives so it spends a lot of time with interrupts blocked as well as running things with "high priorities". At any time I glance at this clock, it is always on time, though it does "freeze" during a disk I/O, but refreshes immediately afterwards on the next second. The display routine itself calls the DW4 clock refresh and each time it's printed on the screen, it comes straight from the PC.

But, as I said... this is NitrOS9 v3.3.0 and DW4. This is not your vanilla OS9. If I had to go back to vanilla OS9 at this point, I would probably quit using it as I have now based most of what I do around DW4 and the new features of NitrOS9. Once you change over to NitrOS9, you'll never look back.... except to wonder why you hadn't done this sooner :-)

Just my 25c ( I didn't have change for a quarter :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com