[Coco] DS1216

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Sep 22 07:54:26 EDT 2015

George Ramsower wrote:

>   Oh! I should specify on these matters. This PC keeps excellent time and once a
> week, it updates from WWV.
>
>   The coco keeps terrible time without the smart watch but for what I'm doing, I
> have to use getclk about every  five or ten seconds or the software clock in OS9
> will lose about one to two seconds over a period of about thirty seconds. This
> is okay for normal use as a few seconds won't matter.
><snip>
>
> George R.

So your problem is with the NitrOS-9 clock not the SmartWatch. :)

What do you have in your OS9Boot file regards the clock? NitrOS-9 now has the
option of a clock2_smart module which presumably "constantly" reads the DS1216.
That will waste system time but will prevent the typical losses found with the
clock2_soft module.
Looking at the clock2_smart source code, it should be possible to set the DS1216
without any special set clock routine, just use the setime command or the F$Time
system call. I have not tested this but expect you won't need to constantly use
getclk with clock2_smart in your OS9Boot file.

Robert