[Coco] DS1216 question..

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Mon Sep 21 22:31:42 EDT 2015

On 9/21/2015 6:30 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> George Ramsower wrote:
>>   Some time back, I had asked about setting this DS1216 chip. I want
>> to be able
>> to set it from within B09 with B09 data.
>>   The "setclk" module I'm using now will only accept input from the
>> keyboard.
>>   If I attempt to set it...for example such as "setclk
>> yy/mm/dd/hh/mm/ss" it
>> prompts me to enter those same data. There is no way to enter the
>> data from the
>> command line except for after starting that application and it
>> prompts me for
>> that same data.
>>   I'm using a program that requires very accurate time and, even
>> though that
>> clock chip keeps pretty good time, I want to use my B09 program to be
>> able to
>> reset it on a scheduled basis to correct it for the errors that it
>> does, natively.
>>   So, I'm still looking for a "setclock" utility that will work this
>> way....
>>  From B09, I want to do the usual.....
>> "shell setclock yy mm dd hh mm ss" from within the program and the
>> program will
>> calculate the error of the smartwatch based on known errors over a
>> period of
>> time and reset it accordingly. Thus, it will keep it on time. Should
>> things
>> change within that smartwatch, I can change the "reset" values
>> accordingly.
>>   I understand this is a very strange request but I really do want a
>> "setclock"
>> that will allow me to do this.
>>
>> Suggestions welcome!!
>>
>> George R.
>>

> George,
>
> Your request has me confused. :(
>
> How can your Basic09 program keep better time than the DS1216? If the
> Basic09 program by some chance is more accurate than the DS1216, why
> use the clock chip at all?
> The Basic09 program must be getting its data from somewhere and
> presumably you are not entering it as that would be self defeating. So
> what is the B09 program doing?
>
> Robert

  I never said or implied that my B09 program can or will keep better
time than does the smart watch. In fact, I really tried to make it
perfectly clear that the smart watch is what is keeping time for OS-9,
the best it can. But all clocks gain or lose time.
  If the smart watch gains one second in five days, then the B09 program
will keep track of the days since the previous adjustment of the smart
watch by that B09 procedure, and upon the completion of five days since
the previous resetting of the smart watch, then the B09 program will
reset the smart watch by that predetermined amount. Should the smart
watch change it's clock frequency, then the B09 program can be adjusted
accordingly.
  The number of days is determined by the current date according to the
smart watch and the  previous date saved to disk.  The previous date and
time of re-setting of that smart watch will be saved for future
reference and updated upon re-settling of the smart watch by the B09
procedure. The B09 procedure only keeps track of the days since the
previous setting of the smart watch.
  I guess I could go on for several pages to explain all this but, this
is the most concise method I can come up with, today. If you still
cannot understand this, let me know and I'll explain it, step by step in
extreme and annoying detail via PM.
  However, it would be a LOT more simple if someone would just tell me
if there is such a utility for setting that damned smart watch the way I
have originally described. If not, then I'll just have to reset the
smart watch manually on a scheduled basis.
  Even this danged PC's clock chip can be set from within an application
via a choice of several sources. I figure if Intel and others can do it,
so can the coco!! Meanwhile, I'll keep driving that Model "T" until
another "setclk" is found.

George R.