[Coco] OSTerm with DriveWire 4

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:15:22 EDT 2015

Any OS9 program that uses standard os9 devices and lets you specify /N as
the device name should work... Or at least, could work.  If it needs to see
certain values in the device descriptor in order to be happy, it might not
work well.  We had to make a couple changes to get OS9L2 BBS working for
example, and uucp had to be convinced things were OK despite signs to the
contrary, though that could be done in its configuration as I recall.  But
supercomm has always worked without any modifications, so there is
definitely a chance other terminal software would too.  RSDOS programs will
not work without changes.  Robert Gault fixed up a RSDOS music program to
use DriveWire as a midi device, which is serial at 32k bps, so I'm sure a
terminal program can be done if you are motivated and have the time.

Fwiw it makes no difference what speed or other parameters you set on /N.
It goes as fast as it can, no more no less.  Due to being multiplexed with
other services there is no certain rate, but the server will buffer
literally megabytes of incoming data until a program on the coco reads it,
so not usually a problem.