[Coco] 68764/68766 EPROMs

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Sep 21 18:33:07 EDT 2015

There have been various such adapters in the CoCo and non-CoCo markets.  I
sold one with ADOS for a time.  Cloud 9 sells a particularly low-profile
one, though it is somewhat more expensive than those sold by others.  There
is not quite enough clearance for most adapters in the Tandy disk
controllers--some have tried cutting a hole in the plastic cover, or just
living with the cover not quite being able to snap shut (the screw will
keep the cover from coming off, and the controller can still be inserted in
the cartridge slot.  Probably not great for the long haul to have pressure
on the circuit board, though.)  The Disto controllers, with their sheet
metal covers, have a bit more clearance.  The problem of clearance is
greatly magnified if you want to piggyback a SmartWatch real-time clock
underneath the Disk Basic ROM.  (I went with a cutting-a-hole-in-the-cover
method there in my own CoCo system.)

A consideration that also exists is that it may be harder to find an EPROM
programmer capable of programming the 6876x series than for the 27xx EPROMs.

Art