[Coco] CM-2 260-3212 color monitor with coco 3?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Sep 21 15:45:01 EDT 2015

You can get 16 colours, but you need more complex conversions to get it.
If it's much like the CGA, then R,G,B bits are worth 2/3 of the intensity,
whereas the I bit adds 1/3 grey (all channels). The only exception is the
hack for the colour brown (for monitors that have it), where G is worth
only 1/3 when R is on and BI are off (2/3 otherwise). If you digitalise
the signal, you can find which RGBI bits are the best match, by some
simple formulas, but if you want to do it with analogue components only,
it's going to be harder, especially if you have to support the brown hack.

For colour similarity comparisons, there are several possible formulas,
which all give different importances to the each aspect of the colour.
Some kind of light blue might be "rounded to" B+I or B+G+I or R+G+B+I or
B+G depending on how much the formula makes each of those appear similar.

Not using "I" will make the image less contrasted, because of the 2/3
factor. If you set I always high, the image will have too much brightness,
and if you set it low, the image will have not enough of it, and can have
a problem with the brown hack (what was intended to be yellow will be
brown if you have a monitor that does it... probably the vast majority of
CGA monitors).