[Coco] Drivewire4

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sun Sep 20 12:07:03 EDT 2015

I just realized I sent this with the wrong subject (again). Resending with the correct subject line.

You need to have the following drivers/modules loaded:
scdwv
N1
N2
N… etc

You may also want to make sure you include:
Z1
Z2
Z… etc
and MIDI.

These drivers and descriptors can be found in /DD/NITROS9/6809L2/MODULES/SCF or /DD/NITROS9/6309L2/MODULES/SCF depending on wither you are running with a 6809 or 6309 CPU. These may already be loaded, depending on the boot disk you are using.
The N descriptors are used by inetd and telnet.
The Z descriptors allow you to open virtual terminal windows on your Drivewire server.
The MIDI descriptor allow you to play midi music from the Color Computer through the sound card on the Drivewire server.

I suggest running mdir first and look at what is already loaded. Then merge all the remaining descriptors you need to load into one file like this:
merge scdwv n n1 n2 n3 n4 n5 z1 z2 z3 z4 z5 midi >/dd/vser
attr /dd/vser e pe
Then you can load that and start inetd:
load /dd/vser
inetd

This disk should boot from drivewire using the becker port with all the needed modules…
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/nos96309l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download
or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/nos96809l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download

Since you are running VCC, make sure you are sunning version 1.43b with the becker port enabled.
This document covers that:
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/VCC_1.4.3b_and_DW4_Installation_Guide#Introducing_Vcc_1.4.3beta_with_Becker_Port_Support_for_DriveWire4

I have not done all of this since I don't run VCC with a Drivewire disk. I use my real CoCo 3 with Drivewire and I use VCC with the emu disk driver.