[Coco] Kip's Single Board Computer

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 18 18:13:58 EDT 2015

On Friday 18 September 2015 17:18:48 RETRO Innovations wrote:

>    The unit is a Hitachi 6309C, and I tried both a crystal and I also
>    tried to connect up a functioning 8MHz oscillator.  No dice.
>
>    Jim

I have Hitachi's 8/16 bit microprocessor book, no ISBN number but
copyright 1991 Hitachi America Limited.

I have used it for reference as to exactly how the HD63C09/HD63C09, it
devotes 44 pages to that, and another 38 pages to the HD63B09E/HD63C09E
processors work. They very very carefully left out any references to the
enhancements they did over & above the motorola part.  It was part of
the deal with motorola when they negotiated the rights to make a clone
of it but in CMOS. It may be newer that the 1991 copyright on this book,
but I'd have serious doubts.

The 6309C, to me, sounds about as bogus as a $3 bill so fresh you can
still smell the ink.

You want a genuine HD63B09E or a HD63C09E to put it in your coco, or to
make an SBC that could run coco/os9/nitros9 code.

Without the E, its a different chip entirely as far as the clock
oscillator is concerned.

The B version is a 2 mhz rated part, the C version is a 3 mhz part.
Being fully CMOS, I have not a clue as to how fast it is internally, but
the C version has some truely fast & robust pin drivers.  Its a joy to
watch on the scope as its logic swings are to within 25 millivolts of
the supply rails with rise & fall times my 100mhz Hitachi dual trace
just about matches at 10 ns both ways.  For a coco, thats in the
category of Scary Damn Fast.  Zero heat doing it according to my IR
thermometer.

A 6309C?  No clue what it might actually be.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)