[Coco] OT - Kid gets arrested for building a clock

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 17 13:13:19 EDT 2015

But we are talking about a 14 year old kid trying to impress his new
teacher. Not exactly an age group motivated by logic and proper reasoning.
We hire adults to apply the proper reasoning and logic to a situation. Those
adults have replaced that proper reasoning and logic with a butt-covering,
pass-the-buck policy called zero-tolerance.

I also firmly believe the response to a request to bring his device to
school would have been a definite no and probably a visit from the police.
Nobody wants to be the school administrator who overlooked a potential
red-flag. We're going to keep seeing more and more of this.

When I was in school the device would have been kept for the day and
returned to the kid at the end of day with a reminder to not bring it on
school grounds again. This was the policy for everything from yo-yo's to
pocket knives to sling-shots. Worked really well for a whole lot of
generations. Perhaps we've moved too far beyond that simple solution.

Yeah the kid should have known better. But at the end of the day he's just a
kid. He knows now.