[Coco] Kip's Single Board Computer

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Sep 15 14:00:08 EDT 2015

Yep, it probably will.  The beauty of the 'reset' chip is that it
continuously monitors VCC for an out-of-range value and will put the CPU
back in reset if it finds that.  A lot of times what causes a CPU to
'lock up' is some dirty supply voltage that cause the something abnormal
to show up on the data/address lines and then the CPU takes a hike to
la-la land.  This chip is like a power supply watchdog.  It also
conditions a reset button input because, as you probably know,
mechanical switches can be noisy/bouncy.

Here's a photo of a more recent revision of the board that I did with
onboard 5v regulator and a power supply barrel connector.  The 'HC11
runs at 4 MHz bus speed, has full 16-bit external address bus, buffered
data lines, some decoded chip selects, internal 1K SRAM, internal
512-byte EEPROM, serial port, SPI port.  The board has all of the
signals brought out to expansion connectors, the reset chip, a 16 MHz
oscillator, RS232 port, power LED. socket for RTC and external EEPROM,
27C256 EPROM socket, etc.  If anyone's interested in playing around with
one or building it from scratch I could make up some documentation for
it along with a basic monitor in EPROM.  I think I still have quite a
few bare boards floating around that I would sell for cheap.  And, it's
a tried and tested design.  As I said, I produce somewhere in the
neighborhood of 1,000-1,500 of these and they're all still running now.

http://www.davebiz.com/HC11-new.jpg

Dave Philipsen