[Coco] Run of RGB2VGA boards

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:15:52 EDT 2015

I usually use a tip like this one for drag soldering.  <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnRmFEQURPLXV4emc <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnRmFEQURPLXV4emc>>
I’ve seen ones in this shape that have the concave surface, I haven’t used used them, but they look like they’d
work well except they might have a tendency to carry too much solder.

I use Amtech 4300 flux in the 10cc syringes. It’s great for SMDs, and somewhat tacky which helps hold small parts
in place when positioning them.  Fantastic for cleaning up through-hole solder joints as well.

I tried the hot-air method when I first started trying SMT.  It worked ok, but you often have to clean things up with
a soldering iron afterward.  Also, there's the inconvenience and mess of using soldering paste (which expires and
becomes unusable).  After I found I could do everything with an iron, there was no contest.  I want nothing to
do with hot-air except for removing SMD ICs and shrink tubing (which it is perfect for).

I find that now I use only two types of tips for all my SMT and through-hole soldering, the type linked above,
and a chisel tip like this <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnVmROZmE3dnlnXzA <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnVmROZmE3dnlnXzA>>
Surprisingly, I don’t like the traditional conical type for anything anymore, the chisel tip gives me more control.

SMT soldering is different than through-hole, which is what I was used to as well before getting into it.
Mastering it basically boils down to being able to control that surface tension, or capillary action as Mark puts it,
which is done through a combination of temperature, flux, shape of the tip and how you move it.

It’s definitely worth learning, it will improve your through-hole soldering skills as well.
You can do everything but BGAs with a temp controlled iron, good flux, and the right tip (and any needed
magnification).

- Ed