[Coco] A nostalgic Coco BBS message

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Sep 11 08:01:00 EDT 2015

We had a decent local BBS network in Okinawa Japan among the military bases in the late 80s. Phone lines were limited, but a few managed to get a second line for a BBS. Nor much CoCo activity, but I managed to find my first disc drive on the island, ordered a controller from the states. I did manage to find 3-4 other CoCo enthusiasts though, I remember one on the big Navy base at Naha, and another on the Army base, Torii Station, and at least two others at Kadena Air Base (where I was). There was one guy who got on Compuserve every couple weeks for an hour or so... now THAT was a phone bill!
Then I got back to the states in mid 1990. I first found a couple local BBSs that had Fidonet links. No more long distance calls! Ironically I know the guy who wrote the Fidonet software and got it rolling! He's a Rambler enthusiast also, my other hobby. Talk about strange coincidences! He's a computer guy, but not CoCo. Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548