[Coco] DE1 vs Raspberry PI

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Sep 10 07:57:15 EDT 2015

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 01:00:10 -0400
From: "Richard E. Crislip" <rcrislip at neo.rr.com>

Hi Mark, Gustavo, Theodore, Aaron, and Steve,

Thank all of you for informing me of the differences. The Pi is an apple
and the DE1 is an Orange 8-). Wish I had an older DE1 8_(. I have a PI
that I will have be content to play Linux on I guess. If anyone has or
knows of an older DE1 they would be willing to part with or is
Why be content? The thing about an emulator is that you can play with an emulated CoCo at any time and on just about any platform. Chris Hawks has a blog or website (forget which) with "instructions" as to how he got one of the emulators running under Linux on a Pi. You could whittle Linux down to only what the emulator needs and use a small SSD and have it all boot up like a CoCo in a short time. It does take some boot time, but with everything whittled down and using an SSD that would be minimal. If all you're doing is using it as a CoCo (use a script to have it boot up then run the emulator) a small SSD would run everything and serve as storage. An 8GB SSD is as little as $20 at NewEgg, though you may need an SATA to IDE adapter (another $10-20). That's enough to run Linux, the emulator, and have enough to store a lot of CoCo software left over.

The Pi isn't the best thing to use though. Many use it because it's small and cheap. A little desktop computer or a mini ITX board would be faster and more capable, but of course cost more. An ECS Liva X is $120 at NewEgg and would be a great little box for an emulator. Older laptops work well too. Anything with a dual core processor will be plenty fast. If I were to use a Pi I'd get the Pi2 with the quad core processor.
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548