[Coco] DE1 vs Raspberry PI

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 8 17:19:14 EDT 2015

On 9/09/2015 7:00 AM, Richard E. Crislip wrote:

> Hi, I know the question has been answered already, but here goes: Why
> is the DE1 a better CoCoFPGA over the Raspberry PI series? TIA

It's "better" only for certain definitions of the word "better". More
accurate would be to say that it's "different".

It all comes down to personal preference. It is arguably easier to
interface legacy hardware to an FPGA implementation. You can also argue
that a hardware emulation can be more accurate, and it's easier to make
it more accurate. It's also a lot less abstract than a software
emulation - the code more closely resembles the original implementation.

All that aside, it's still ultimately boils down to user perception.
Personally, I find an FPGA implementation gives a more "authentic"
experience and I'm certainly more interested in the ability to interface
legacy peripherals, and not be caught up with the abstractions of the
software involved in running the emulation.

YMMV.

Regards,

--
| <http://pacedev.net> |