[Coco] Hard drive formatting

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Mon Sep 7 15:26:19 EDT 2015

Most ScSI drives come already low level formatted so all that is needed is a high level format after you set the proper disk size/geometry with dmode. Of course you will first need to create an OS9 or NitrOS9 boot disk with the hard disk driver included, or at least load the driver and descriptor into memory. Then...
dmode /h0 cyl=# sid=# sct=# t0s=#
format /h0

Optional, if you created a boot disk including the hard disk driver, then you might do this...
cobbler /d0
^ To make a floppy with the dmode parameters stored permanently.

Wat type of SCSI controller do you have? How many cylinders, heads, and sectors per track does your hard disk have? Do you want to use the entire disk for OS9 or do you also want to have some BASIC virtual floppies? How much space o you want for OS9? If you tell me which SCSI controller you have, I can send you an HDBDOS rom image and a floppy disk image to soft load hdbdos that is configured for your controller with an offset for you OS9 system and I can try to create a floppy image of NitrOS9 with the proper driver loaded. The hdbdos is optional, but nice to have.