[Coco] FPGA 6809

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 00:20:22 EDT 2015

 Dave, according to William Astle (lwtools author), the lwtools assembler IS a single pass assembler. I'm assuming it treats "asm" files similar to the way RMA works, by assembling an object file with a variable table (or temp file), to reference when functions and variables are referenced in other sources then linkiing the object files to create the executable.
I'm not really sure this is the case, and William will probably correct me, but I imagine it's something similar.
Many of the sources in the Nitros9 repo ar multi-part with different parts used for different configurations.

Some of the sources are in RMA format and in that respect, functions CAN be called from other sources without "include" or "use" references, similar to C and RMA in OS9, hence the need for finding all references to any "changed" names, or at least this is what it seems is going on. The makefiles is where a lot of the majic is done. Remember, this a PC assembler, not OS9.

I knew you said you were only assembling a few of files, but my intent was meant as a warning to any future attemp to include more files. There's a lot more there than meets the eye :-)

I have pulled many of the Nitros9 sources and "massaged" them to assemble in Nitros9, some were pretty easy... some were a nightmare, some were damned near impossible without almost rewriting them! These files have moved a long way from the Coco!

The Nitros9 repo builds complete disks for 9 different computers, two different cpus, two different levels (1 & 2), 2 clock types (NTSC & PAL), about 8 different HD systems, 3 or 4 different floppy systems, and does "most" of it from one general set of sources in 2 passes... one to compile for each machine, and one to create the disk images of several types each!

It's actually pretty amazing to watch it all build... but I would still rather see it scroll by on a Coco (or emulator), and as Bill Noble will tell you, originally when they started NitrOS9, it WAS all done on a Coco! :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com