[Coco] My DE-1 project just took a leep forward!

tim franklinlabs.com tim at franklinlabs.com
Fri Oct 23 14:59:29 EDT 2015

   With very little time to work on my SoCoCo project I had another
   breakthrough today. Thanks to Zippsters suggestion with a cheap digital
   analyzer, I was able to solve my video problem. My 6809 core now runs
   completely under the DE-1's 8 meg of SDRAM with the video using the 512
   meg of SRAM. Again, the CPU speed is limited to about 1.2MHz but I plan
   on getting that faster in the future. The limiting factor is the access
   timing on the SDRAM. Now I can focus my energy to getting the
   "modified" CoCo Basic running.

   It's not my intention to make this backward compatible. That's being
   done very well by Gary Beckers project. I'm looking at creating a "NEW"
   Coco with the features I want. I still want it to be able to run many
   BASIC programs now available with some backward compatibility but I'm
   more interested in new CoCo-Concepts!!

   Features I'm planning on putting in:

   - SD disk usage within the BASIC platform
   - 80 (and possibly 132) column text similar to the VGA standard
   - 800x600x4096 colors
   - Yamaha DX7 sound engine (open source code already exists)
   - Bitter/Blitter and Sprite engine

   -Tim