[Coco] RGB2VGA converter setup issue

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Fri Oct 23 02:09:11 EDT 2015

Specifically, your TV does not support 640x480 on it's VGA input. It's specifications state the VGA input supports:

SVGA    800 x 600
XGA     1024 x 768
WXGA    1280 x 800

The "VGA" input has no support for 640x480. This is becoming more and more common, and thus is one of the many reason I developed my SCART cable to HDMI converter idea.

For your TV:

Compatible Modes
TV Tuner*: NTSC/ATSC
YPbPr: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
HDMI: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
PC: SVGA, XGA, WXGA
Optimum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Begin shameless plug (again)

So a HDMI 1080p or 720p up scaler should work, or even native 480i on HDMI, but 640x480 on the VGA input will not. It also does say that the component input supports 480i, so if you converted your CoCo 3 RGB signal to YPbPr component with no change in resolution you should be able to feed that to the component input on this TV and it should work in this case. On my TV 480i is not supported on my component input, only 480p and up so that would not work for me.

My suggestion, if your TV or display has a HDMI input, use my solution, it should work and it's cheaper, provided you don't mind soldering a cable. :) And NO I will NOT be selling cables. I MIGHT build make one in trade for something I want, maybe. Otherwise, all the information to make the fairly simply cable and what adapters it should be hooked to is available at: https://hackaday.io/project/7366-coco-3-rgb-to-scart-to-hdmi-cable

Anyone else who does try this please let me know. I am fairly certain you should get good results since it feeds the CoCo 3's signal into a commercial up scaler/converter, is electrically exactly what the converter is expecting to see, and the output from the converter is upscaled to 1080p, which any modern TV or display with an HDMI input should easily recognize, but I am still curious to hear back and confirm this for more different types of TV's, etc. I have personally tried this on several TV's and displays and so far it has worked every time. I have not tried converting the HDMI to VGA, but that should work as well, and commercial adapters to do this are available for less than $10 if you don't have a HDMI input, just VGA. I suspect that should work as well, but would especially like to hear back from anyone who tries that to confirm that it is also an option. Total cost of all parts including even a VGA output converter is <$60, and only minimal soldering is required, just a cable with one resistor and a 5V power supply, no PC boards, chips, or other active components.

End shameless plug (again)

Please do not misinterpret this to mean that I dislike the other options, or that I think that they don't have utility, but I do think in many cases my solution will work well and is less expensive.

Besides, I really really do want to hear from others using my cable idea. :)