[Coco] VCC2.0.1 and DriveWire

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Oct 18 21:19:16 EDT 2015

Barry, what I was referring to about the configuration of the MPI was that I DID include the DLLs already mounted, and they should not have been. In that way, the user could setup VCC in any way they please from the start. I just didn't realize I had included my "vcc.ini" in the zip. VCC will auto create this file once you start it and it keeps it's settings from run to run, so after the user does the first setup to how they want it, it stays that way. I plan on doing a "First Run Tutorial" in the manual as soon as I get chance, and cover all three types of setups (hdbdos, rgbdos, & rsdos). I intended not to even have the MPI mounted as some people like to run just plain FD-502 and nothing else or even cassette... like they did with their Coco 3s.
The stock installation should resemble a "stock" Coco 3 just as you purchased the Coco 3 from Radio Shack... 6809, 128k mem, no overclocking, no MPI, no disk drive.

I too have thought "why not emulate the bitbanger?". Yes, that would be much easier to use "regular" dw across the board, though the Becker Port is still used by the CocoFPGA, so it still needs to be supported in the repo. To be honest,I've run Vcc side by side with my real Coco 3 and the Coco 3 was actually faster on file transfers. Even though Vcc's direct TCP connection should (theoretically) be faster, the bottleneck of converting from serial to TCP (and back) seems to slow it down. This is why, even though I'm running DW4, I use the emudsk driver as well and use /h0 as /dd because it's 10x faster than the dw drives. The native Vcc drive reads/writes "directly" to/from program to disk, so there's no bottleneck. There's actually a default "slowdown" to make it emulate the "slowness" of a real drive. Checking the "Overclock Disk Drives" in "Cartridge/Config FD-502" removes that and the drives are lightning fast.

That was part of the reason for removing the becker port code from VCC and moving it to a rompak. It was originally supposed to "auto-load" the rom when the becker.dll is loaded, but something is screwy there and it doesn't work. So until we figure out what's causing it not to load, we're stuck with doing it by the "External Rom" method. Now, the becker.dll can actually be loaded into Vcc 1.42 and used there.
The emulation of the bitbanger with proper software behind the scenes, could even run a real printer or modem.. just point the converted output to the proper drivers in windows.... It could also open the door to doing MIDI through the bitbanger as well. Once the connection is figured out, just feed it to window's midi drivers. This way, MIDI could be used without DW4. The same could be done to emulate a MIDIPak or an RS-232 pak.

Things like this are being thought of and discussed, but until we get the initial code bug free, we don't want to add anything new and have to deal with 2 (or more) sets of bugs to squash.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com