[Coco] MC6847 VGA (FPGA) Project underway...

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Oct 11 19:06:12 EDT 2015

On 10/11/2015 3:49 PM, Zippster wrote:
> Sneak peek of the layout for American CoCo2 motherboards…
> Still needs some work, but pretty close.

You didn't ask for comments, and obviously I'm not laying out the board,
so take all of these with a nice big crystal of NaCl:

  * No way to hide IC2/3/4 under the 6847 header footprint?
  * I'd put the switches on the let, flip the VRs under the board and
    move them closer to the FPGA.  That would elim the dog ear.
  * Looks like rotating the FPGA 45 degrees would help with layout.
  * Looks like the 6847 footprints could be .1" of so closer together.
  * I assume 0805 footprints to maintain ability to hand solder?

In general, it looks like the underside of the PCB is underutilized,
even considering what is below the PCB.