[Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 16:46:07 EDT 2015

Stephen, from your link, I have no idea which dsk you tried as that is a zip of several disks. But it sounds like you tried a standard Coco 3 disk which will NOT run dw.
Yes, DW is invisable (when installed)... but NOT on a normal Coco3 boot (not installed). The drivers must be present. The one for your FPGA has the DW "disk" driver already there, just not the scdwv stuff... The disk drivers (rbdw, dwio) are the root of ALL dw4 operations and so they're not on a 'normal' Coco 3 bootdisk, ONLY on DW bootdisks. The whole problem is that whoever made the FPGA boot disk, eliminated the 'scdwv' driver and it's descriptors... why? I don't know, but it was not a good move. This makes that boot (as far as dw is concerned) just a DW file sharer... not a PC utility, TCP/IP gateway, TelNet server/client, virtual printer, MIDI player, remote terminal, etc. Without the virtual ports (scdwv, scdwp, Nx, P, MIDI, and Zx... it's just a file server system.
If you're going to try a repo disk, use the proper disk for your purpose:

>From the posts I'm seeing on the CocoFPGA, I'm not sure whether the FPGA uses the Becker Port, or standard DW4???
I was under the assumption the FPGA used the Becker port (I thought it was developed for it), but now I'm no longer sure....

So for Becker Port (most likely) use:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/nos96809l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download

or if that doesn't work try the standard DW4 disk, use:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk/download

One of these is the proper disk for a 6809 L2 DW boot on the FPGA. Just stick it in DW slot 0 and type DOS (if you have dw access from DECB)

You will NOT have to load the drivers with these disks as they already have them in the boot. Just try the dw cmd without all the merge stuff.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com