[Coco] Just another peek...

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 07:16:17 EDT 2015

In order to do stand-alone SD booting, the current OS9 two-stage boot
does indeed require 3 drivers be written:

1. One for HDBDOS/DECB
2. One for the boot loader (BOOT)
3. One for the Nitros9 run-time. (I guess someone did this already)

*Someone* here wrote a OS9 ROM booter effectively combines nos. 1 and
2 into one driver. (but leaves you without DECB), and requires one to
monkey around with writing ROMs (which *is* pretty easy now-a-days)

The current Nitros9 BOOT implementation requires any new drivers to
fit into 768 bytes of memory.  I'm guessing the SD driver would fit in
there (even with the hideousness of the SDIO initialization code).

For writing any new driver, owning the subject hardware helps.  If I
get the gumption to do all the crap needed to get a CoCoFPGA, I *may*
help.  I've done the CoCoSDC drivers for HDBDOS.  And I don't think
the BOOT driver is too difficult, considering the unholy union that
BOOT/REL/KRN is. It's important to note though, because of our wacky
"eat-your-own" and "nay-saying" that happens in this community, any
coco programming I do now is for *myself*.  I will open-source it, of
course, but if I take any crap, I will drop it like a plagued rat.

--
Brett M. Gordon,
beretta42 at gmail.com